- Departments & Services
- Projects & Planning
- Sustainable Education Garden
Sustainable Education Garden
The Transformation of the City Hall Sustainable Education Garden
The City Hall lawn and landscape has been transformed into a beautiful and functional demonstration garden and community gathering area. The garden was designed using holistic water-use efficiency and
storm water best management practices. The garden features:
- Drought tolerant, low water-use plants including California Natives which will meet the City's Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance (PDF).
- Russian-River Friendly Landscaping Best Practices that work in harmony with the natural conditions of the Russian River Watershed.
- Bioswales and
bioretentionto capture and naturally clean storm waterrunoff onsite as explained in the Storm Water Low Impact Technical Design Manual (PDF).
- Rainwater harvesting.
- Community gathering area that will also be used as an outdoor classroom.
- Informational displays and interpretive signage.
A draft design was created as a result of a stakeholder workshop that included members of the public and the design community, along with the help of the project landscape architect and City staff. These initial design renderings were provided for public comment via this website. The comments received were taken into consideration by the design team to create the final design (links above). The design
Want to Know More?
Sign Up for email alerts and stay up to date.
For additional information, please contact the Project Manager Deb Lane by email or call 707-543-4506