Film Permit

The City of Santa Rosa encourages the use of public property for filming so long as the activity is consistent with public health, safety and the protection of property. Commercial filming is permitted through a Film Permit. Please review Council Policy 000-09 "Event Permits" for all requirements and restrictions.

How to Obtain a Permit

  1. Fill out a Film Permit application at least 30 days before but no more than one year in advance of the filming activity, and submit with the $75 application fee online. The online system will require you to create a login. Once logged in, click on "Apply for Special Event, Filming..." under the Recreation & Parks section. Then select "Film Permit" as the record type. You may save, close and return to your application as many times as needed before submitting. If you are unable to submit the application online, please use the paper application (PDF).
  2. Staff will review application and contact applicant within 15 days.
  3. A pre-event meeting may be required to establish conditions of use, other required permits and any additional fees for City services, such as police, fire, traffic control plan and parking.
  4. Applicant must fulfill all permit requirements and pay any additional fees and/or deposits. In addition to the non-refundable application fee of $75, the following permit fees will be added to your approved permit: $175/day.

Permit Requirements

Insurance: General Liability Insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 is required for all Film Permits. The City of Santa Rosa, Its officers, agents, employees and volunteers must be listed as "Additional Insured" on the corresponding Endorsement page. Please note that the insurance certificate will not be accepted without the endorsement page and exact wording shown above. Special Event insurance is available for purchase through this on-line service. For more information on purchasing Special Event insurance through the City of Santa Rosa, please contact Mirella Stevens at (707) 543-3024 or [email protected].

Other Permits: The following additional permits may be required for some events

  • Amplified Sound Permits are free for non-commercial use ($5 for commercial use) and are issued by the Police Department. If your event is in a residential neighborhood, neighborhood signatures will be required.
  • Fire Department Permits and inspections are required for use of pyrotechnic special events, open flame, flammable or combustible liquids, gases and dusk, hot work and the presence of motor vehicles within a building. Additional permits may be required for tents/canopies and special event/public assembly.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are there restricted hours for filming in a residential area?

Yes. Residential areas may be used for film production only between the hours of 7am and 10pm.

What kind of notification is required to affected neighborhoods?

The City requires that the film producer notify residents with a minimum of 72 hours before filming in a residential neighborhood. The written notice must be approved by the City before distribution and should include the company's shooting times, and the name, address and phone numbers of the company's local office and representative.

What is required to close a city street for filming?

A Traffic Control Plan is required for any hard closure of a City street. The City must approve the plan before the permit is issued. The cost of preparing and implementing the plan is the responsibility of the applicant.

Can we reserve parking spaces for our production?

Yes. Reserved metered parking spaces will be charged a lost revenue fee per meter. For production where "No Parking" restrictions will be in effect, signs must be posted a minimum of 24 hours in advance for metered parking areas, and 72 hours in advance for unrestricted areas. The cost of the "No Parking" signs and posting of signs is the responsibility of the applicant. The signs must be purchased from the City to ensure the signs meet the legal requirements for possible vehicle towing.


Film Permit
[email protected]

Click here to apply now