Saturday, September 16th was International Coastal Cleanup Day and the Santa Rosa Water Storm Water & Creeks team sponsored the Creek to Coast Cleanup Day along the Prince Memorial Greenway. There was a great turnout this year (120 volunteers), with participants of all ages volunteering. The Santa Rosa Water Hydration Station was there along with the Storm Water & Creeks informational booth. Storm Water and Creeks would like to extend special thanks to the Analy High School Sustainability classes who joined the cleanup for the 5th year in a row.
Altogether, 711 lbs. of trash and 335 lbs. of recyclable material (lots of bike parts and metal) were collected. Individual pieces of trash were tallied and the results will be turned into the California Coastal Commission.
To learn more about the Creek Stewardship Program and upcoming Creek Cleanup events, click here.
Download a copy of the Santa Rosa Creek Map.
Visit your local creek or creek trail.
Follow @SantaRosaWater on Instagram and post a photo next to your local 'Ours to Protect' creek sign with #OursToProtect and #SantaRosaWater to win weekly giveaways during the month of September.
Every Thursday during the month of September one photo will be selected to win a $100 Sonoma Outfitters gift card.
1. Pictures must be posted on Instagram with #OursToProtect and #SantaRosaWater, and include an 'Ours to Protect' creek sign to be eligible to win weekly prizes. (Instagram account must be public to participate)
2. Weekly winners will be selected on Thursday, September 7th, 14th, 21st, and 28th.
3. Must be a Santa Rosa resident to participate.
4. Contestants under the age of 18 must have permission from a parent or legal guardian to participate.
5. Photos must not contain violence, profanity, sex, or direct attacks on individuals or organizations.
6. The photo must be your own original creation. No copyrighted images may be used.
7. Photos must not infringe on third party rights.
8. Photos must not have been produced for compensation.
9. By participating in the contest you assign the City of Santa Rosa all rights to and the nonexclusive permission to use, copy and distribute, the submitted photo for public information or educational purposes. The permission granted includes permission to alter or edit photo.
10. Weekly winners will be announced on the Santa Rosa Water's Facebook and Instagram pages.