Commercial Cannabis Application Support

All cannabis uses require either a Zoning Clearance or a Conditional Use Permit. An approved Cannabis use can be transferred to a new operator through a Zoning Clearance application (at no cost) requesting a name change. To legally operate a cannabis business in the City of Santa Rosa, an approved land use permit and business tax certificate are required, along with the appropriate valid State operator license.

The best way to ensure success is to submit applications that are complete, with a detailed narrative that is accurate, consistent, and proactively addresses operational and locational compliance with state and local laws, and that includes plans and/or supportive exhibits that are annotated, internally consistent and legible. Please review the City's Cannabis Ordinance Chapter 20-46 for local regulations. 

Fees paid in cash: Cash payments in-excess of $3,000 will not be accepted at Planning & Economic Development. If a payment in-excess of $3,000 is anticipated, the application will still be submitted at 100 Santa Rosa Avenue, Room 3, but arrangements must be made to make the cash payment at Finance at 90 Santa Rosa Avenue after the application is submitted. For directions go to the Cannabis Permit Payment Procedure.

All Cannabis Building Permit submittals require a meeting with Building Division staff prior to submittal. Please contact Chief Building Official Jesse Oswald at [email protected] to schedule this meeting. When scheduling the appointment, specific submittal information and requirements will be provided to applicants. Available dates and times are Wednesdays and Thursdays at 1:00 PM.

The Department of Cannabis Control (DCC) issues licenses based on the type of cannabis activity. To learn how to apply for or renew a license, please visit the DCC website.

Once an individual applies for a license, the DCC (Department of Cannabis Control) will contact the City for local compliance. The City is required to respond within 60 days from the date of contact. In order for the City to provide local authorization, the applicant must have the following items completed:

  • Finaled building permit
  • County health permit (for edible manufacturing and dispensaries)
  • Tax registration completed

The following are application support tools to assist you in a successful process.

General FAQs

Conditional Use Permit (CUP) Applications – Cannabis Retail/Non-Retail

Conditional Use Permit (CUP) Applications – Cannabis Retail Only

Zoning Clearance (ZC) Applications