Block Party Permit

Street closures for Block Parties are permitted through a Block Party Permit. This is a streamlined permit process intended to encourage neighborhood gatherings. A Block Party is defined as a gathering of residents and neighbors on a residential street, requiring a closure of a street, or a portion thereof, to vehicular traffic, where no arterial or collector (4-lane) streets are involved. A street may not be closed for a block party if the speed limit is greater than 25 mph, it has more than two lanes or if there is a bus stop within the closure area. Please review Council Policy 000-09 "Event Permits" for all requirements and restrictions.

How to Obtain a Permit

  1. Fill out a Block Party Permit application (PDF) at least 30 days before but no more than one year in advance of your event, and submit with the $25 application fee by mail or in person to the address on the application.
  2. Staff will review application and contact applicant within 15 days.

Permit Requirements

Only readily removable barricades may be used for street closures, and a 20-ft lane of clearance is required for emergency vehicle access at all times. The use of up to four City owned barricades may be requested through the permit process.

  • All debris and trash must be removed from an event site immediately after the event.
  • Mobile food vending at Block Parties must comply with current City Code 6-48 - Street Vendors.
  • Fire Department permits may be required for propane use or large tents on City property.
  • The applicant(s) shall assume and reimburse the City for any and all costs and expenses determined by the City to be unusual or extraordinary, and related to the event.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a permit to hold a block party?

Yes, a Block Party Permit is required if the event is on a public street. If your neighborhood Block Party involves major street closures, significant impacts to City services or entities such as churches or schools, if the activity is open to the general public, or if it does not otherwise match the block party definition, the event is considered a Special Event and you will need to complete a Special Event Permit application.

How much does it cost and is insurance required?

A non-refundable $25 permit application fee is due at the time the application is submitted. Insurance is not required for Block Parties and there are no other permit fees.

Can I use amplified sound?

If amplified sound is going to be used, an Amplified Sound Permit must be applied for through the Police Department.

What is the policy on alcohol?

Alcohol must be confined to private property. Alcohol consumed on City property (streets, sidewalks) is a violation of City Code and is prohibited (City Code 10-04.010).

Can I have a jump house?

Jump houses must be confined to private property. Jump houses on City property (streets, sidewalks) would require a Special Event Permit.

Do I have to notify my neighbors?

It is recommended that you notify every household that will be affected by the street closure before you submit your Block Party permit application.


Block Party Permit
[email protected]

Click here to download application Opens in new window