Business Tax Certificate & Seller's Permit

Business Tax Certificate 

Whether you’re operating from home or a storefront, office or industrial park, you’ll need a Business Tax Certificate (sometimes referred to as a "Business License"). Business Tax Certificate applications are managed by HdL and are available online. Applicants must submit proof of zoning clearance along with the application for the Business Tax Certificate and can get this clearance at Planning and Economic Development, 100 Santa Rosa Avenue. Check for hours of operation. Zoning clearance will be issued over the counter; there is no charge for this clearance.

Remember to submit your application several weeks before you open for business and be sure you’ve secured all of your necessary planning approvals. Business Tax Certificates are renewed annually.

What You Need To Do:  If your business will be located in Santa Rosa, then you will need a Business Tax Certificate.

Email: [email protected]
Office Phone: 707-606-0046
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Estimated Cost

  • $25 plus $0.34 per every $1,000 in gross receipts (or portion thereof) over $25,000 (retail business multiplier)
  • Maximum tax = $3,000
  • $25 Compliance Review Fee ($10 for renewals)

Seller’s Permit

If you plan to sell or lease retail or wholesale goods, you’ll need a Seller’s Permit or "resale number" from the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA), which you can contact:


More Info


(800) 400-7115


     50 D Street, Room 230
     Santa Rosa, CA 95404-4771