Learn Your Employer Responsibilities

There are a number of legal steps you will need to follow before your business hires employees. Here is a guide to this process.

Tax Identification - Federal Identification Number

You'll also need a Employee Identification Number (EIN or SSN) if you're employing one or more persons, or will be a business partnership or corporation. Contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Business Tax Line at 800-829-1040, or stop by the Santa Rosa office at 777 Sonoma Avenue between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. You can also call 707-523-0924.

U.S. Department of Treasury
Internal Revenue Services
777 Sonoma Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
Phone: 800-829-1040

Estimated Cost:  None.


State Employer Identification Number (SEIN)

If you will be paying wages over $100 in a calendar quarter to one or more employees, then within 15 days you will need to submit a registration form for a State Employer Identification Number (SEIN).

All new businesses employing one or more persons must apply for a State Employer's Identification Number. Contact the State's Employment Development Department by calling 888-745-3886, or stop by the Santa Rosa office at 50 D Street, Room 415, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

California Employment Development Department
Santa Rosa Employment Tax Office
50 "D" Street, Room 415
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
Phone: 888-745-3886

Estimated Cost:  None.

Link:  Employment Development Department information for employers

State Income Tax Information

Businesses should obtain the appropriate State income tax forms from the Franchise Tax Board. All businesses are required to submit a Business Income Tax statement annually.

California State Franchise Tax Board
Oakland Field Office
1515 Clay Street, Suite 305
Oakland, CA 94612-1445
Phone: 800-852- 5711

To Comply with California State Discrimination Law

Employers must post the Harassment or Discrimination in Employment notice (DFEH 162) and provide their employees with a copy of the DFEH's information sheet on sexual harassment (DFEH 185) or a statement that contains equivalent information.

Employers must also provide notice of an employee's right to request pregnancy disability leave or transfer, as well as notice to request a family and medical care leave (CFRA). Employers with 5 or more employees must maintain all personnel records for a minimum of 2 years.

California Department of Fair Employment and Housing
1515 Clay Street, Suite 701
Oakland, CA 94612
Phone: 800-884-1684

To Comply with Wage/Hour Laws

Businesses with employees must comply with laws establishing minimum standards for wages, hours and working conditions.

California Department of Industrial Relations
Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DSLE)
50 "D" Street, Suite 360
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
Phone: 707-576- 2362

To Comply with Workers' Compensation Laws

Businesses with employees must maintain Workers' Compensation Insurance coverage on either a self-insured basis, or provided through a commercial carrier, or the State Workers' Compensation Insurance Fund.

California Department of Industrial Relations
Division of Workers' Compensation (DWC)
50 D Street
Santa Rosa, CA 95401
Phone: 707-576-2452

To Comply with Occupational Safety and Health Regulations

Businesses with employees must prepare an Injury and Illness Prevention Plan. The state provides a no-fee consultation service to assist employers with preventing unsafe working conditions and workplace hazards.

California Department of Industrial Relations
Division of Occupational Health & Safety (DOSH) or Cal/OSHA
2424 Arden Way, Suite 410
Sacramento, CA 95825
Phone: 916-263-2855

For More Information:
California Labor & Workforce Development Agency

The California Labor and Workforce Development Agency is a comprehensive guide that outlines and briefly describes the general procedures for establishing a business in California and provides links to documents that may need to be filed to legally setup and operate a business in California.