The Downtown Enforcement Team (DET) consists of six officers and one sergeant on bicycle patrol and has the primary responsibility of enforcing all laws throughout the downtown area as well as Beat 9. Their main concentration is the downtown footprint and Railroad Depot area. They participate in special operations targeting municipal code violations, drug complaints, and general quality of life issues. They also participate in other related activities that support the goal of improving safety within the downtown and surrounding area.
Responsibilities of the Downtown Enforcement Team (DET)
- Attend and participate in Neighborhood / Merchant meetings to provide responses to issues
- Conduct in-depth investigations into various crimes that affect the downtown area (i.e. drug sales, prostitution, alcohol sales to minor, etc.)
- Develop and present training sessions to other law enforcement personnel and city agencies regarding bicycle-related subjects and safety within the downtown area
- Enforce laws in all areas of the City of Santa Rosa
- Evaluate and respond to merchant and neighborhood complaints
- Maintain proficient bicycle riding skills (POST certified Basic Police Bicycle Patrol Course)
- Meet with members of the City Council on a monthly basis regarding downtown issues and compliance regarding local laws and ordinances
- Present and participate in educational programs directed towards improving bicycle safety
- Provide both oral and written testimony in court
The team is based out of the downtown location at Old Courthouse Square and supported by Measure O
The Downtown Enforcement Team is part of the Traffic Bureau
along with the DUI Enforcement / Accident Investigation Team and the Motorcycle Traffic Enforcement Team.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the downtown area of Santa Rosa, please call the Administration Offices
at 707-543-3550 or email