Regional Transit Connection Discount Card
Regional Transit Connection (RTC) Discount ID Card are issued to persons with disabilities. The RTC Discount ID Card makes it easy for riders to demonstrate eligibility for a reduced fare on CityBus, Sonoma County Transit, SMART, Petaluma Transit, Golden Gate Transit and Ferry, BART, Muni and most transit agencies in the Bay Area. Riders simply present their RTC Discount ID Card as proof of eligibility for reduced fares.
There are two types of eligibility for a RTC Discount ID Card: Basic Eligibility and Medical Eligibility (see a detailed description of both forms of eligibility below). Applications for an RTC Discount ID Card may be submitted at the CityBus customer service window in the Downtown Transit Mall. Note the hours of operation. Other locations where applications may be submitted can be found here.
If you are eligible under one of the Basic Eligibility categories noted below, you may apply under that category. Basic Eligibility does not require medical certification. To qualify for Basic Eligibility, bring original documents of one of the following with your application:
- Medicare card, the federally-issued red, white, and blue card - only for those under 65 years of age. (NOTE: Medi-Cal is not accepted for eligibility.)
- California DMV Placard Registration parking placard receipt. If you bring the blue or red placard, you must also bring the registration receipt. If you have disabled license plates (DP) instead of a placard, you must submit a Medical Eligibility form.
- Other California transit agency card that is equivalent to the RTC Card.
- Proof of Veterans Disability-- A copy of your Service Connected Disability ID card and your VA Certification letter (printed on VA letterhead) demonstrating a disability rating for aid and attendance, or for a service-connected disability with a rating level of 50% or higher. Please note that it may take more than several months to verify your application with the VA due to their current work volume. For a quicker turnaround, it is recommended that you submit a Medical Eligibility application instead
How to Apply for Basic Eligibility
- Complete the Basic Eligibility Application Form, incomplete applications will not be accepted
- Present valid government issued photo identification - such as a current California driver’s license, California Identification Card, U.S. passport, Alien Registration Card, U.S. Military Identification Card or Military Dependent Card
- Pay the appropriate fee of $3.00 for new cards or renewals. Fees are non-refundable
- Bring the applicable documentation listed above
- Your photo will be taken at the transit agency where you submit your application
When you receive your RTC Discount ID card, you will be immediately eligible for reduced fares on all participating transit systems. No additional proof of eligibility is required, but you must show the Discount ID Card at the time you pay the fare.
Medical Certification Eligibility
Medical Certification Eligibility Forms may be picked up in person or mailed to you from CityBus. In addition to CityBus, these other agencies have RTC Processing Locations. To request a Medical Certification Eligibility form contact CityBus at 707-543-3333.
To qualify for Medical Certification Eligibility:
- Complete the appropriate sections of the Medical Certification Form.
- Sign the application in two places: 1) to authorize your doctor to release information, and 2) to indicate your acceptance of RTC Program terms. If your application is not signed in both places, it cannot be processed and will be returned to you.
- Bring the Medical Certification Form to your Certifying Medical Professional. The Certifying Medical Professional must complete the form and mail the green copy to the Discount ID Card Program Office at the address shown on the form. Processing your application may be delayed if the Certifying Medical Professional does not returned the green copy of the form.
- Keep the other copies and bring them with you when you have your photo taken at your transit agency.
- Application forms not completed by a Certifying Medical Professional may not be accepted.
- Photocopies of the Medical Certification Form cannot be accepted
To qualify under Medical Certification Eligibility, your application form must be certified by one of the professionals listed below who are licensed in the State of California to diagnose:
- Licensed physicians with an M.D. or D.O. degree, licensed physician's assistants and nurse practitioners may certify in all categories in which they are licensed to diagnose
- Licensed chiropractors, categories 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Licensed podiatrists, disabilities involving the feet under categories 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Licensed optometrists (OPT), category 9
- Licensed audiologists (AU), category 10
- Licensed clinical psychologists (PSY) and licensed educational psychologists (LEP), categories 15, 16 and 17 (if category 17 is used, a secondary diagnostic code is required)
- Licensed Marriage and Family Counselors (MFT), and Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW), category 17 (if category 17 is used, a secondary diagnostic code is required)
Your Certifying Medical Professional's address and medical license information (required on each application form) will be verified with the California Medical License Board.