Police Reports

Obtaining Copies of Police Reports

Please note that not all reports requested are available for release. Arrest reports will not be released. A copy will be given to you or your attorney at your first court arraignment. If you do not receive a report copy at your first arraignment, contact the DA’s office at (707) 565-2311.

Reports are $2. To request a copy of the report, print out the Report Request Form, fill out, and either mail it in with $2 payment or turn in to the Records Counter Monday-Friday between 9:00am – 4:00pm. If you choose to pay via check, please make your check out to City of Santa Rosa.

The Report Request Form is also available in Spanish.

If you wish to mail your written request in, please have it notarized by a Notary Public and mail to:

Santa Rosa Police Department

Records Bureau

965 Sonoma Avenue

Santa Rosa, CA  95404

You can only receive a crime report if you are an authorized person such as the victim, the victim’s representative or as provided in Section 6254 of the Government Code. Requests are processed in the order received and due to the sheer number of requests may take 3-4 weeks for processing. Requesting a report in person does not mean the request will be immediately filled. In person requests require that the requestor have a valid government issued identification and have a valid “right or need” to access the police report as explained above.

Reports involving certain types of crimes (i.e. juvenile cases and some sex-related crimes) cannot be released to anyone except District Attorneys, other Law Enforcement agencies, or authorized government entities.

Your report may have redacted areas or missing pages. Redactions are specifically governed by laws and policies that we are not able to circumvent.

Something to take into account is to make sure you actually need a copy of the report. Most often, insurance companies, banks, phone companies and other organizations do not require you to provide a physical copy of your crime report; rather, they just want the case number or the CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) information for documentation. They will normally request a copy themselves if they need it. If you are going to Family Court for domestic-related issues and the judge is requesting proof of a police report or call for service, most often the CAD information will suffice, and we can supply it to you in less time than it takes to review and release the police report.

Keep in mind, if you come into the station in person to request a copy of a report, you may not be given a copy of your report then. By law, we have 10 days to respond to your request, production time of the record may exceed 10 days.