Replacing Lost Documents

Fire survivors who lost important documents in the Glass Fire may need replacements to apply for services and help begin recovery. The below list of agencies and contact information may assist you in replacing those important identification and financial documents.

Who to Contact for Replacement
Banking info: Checks,
Debit Cards, Safe Deposit Boxes
Contact your financial institution,  or get contact information from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).
Birth and Death Certificates
Contact the California Department of Public Health
  • Call: 916-445-2684
  • Online:
  • Birth certificate: $25 fee
  • Death certificate: $21 fee.
California Driver LicenseThe California Department of Motor Vehicles now offers the option to use its online services to replace a lost, damaged or stolen driver’s license. An online account at is required. For more information:
Credit Cards
Contact the issuing institution:NOTE: If you don’t remember all the credit cards you had, obtain a credit report from any of the three major credit bureaus.
Credit ReportEquifax, Experian or TransUnion:
EBT CardCalifornia’s CalFresh is part of the federal program known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP – formerly known as Food Stamps).

For lost EBT card replacements, Call 877-328-9677 right away or contact your local county social services worker.
Fraud Alerts or a Credit FreezeFraud Alerts: Call the identity theft helpline at 877-438-4338 or contact the Federal Trade Commission at
Lost Green CardGo to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and complete Form I-90, Application to Replace a Permanent Resident Card. The form can be mailed in.
  • Online:
  • Call 800-375-5283 to check application status
Medicare CardsSocial Security Administration
Military RecordsNational Archives and Records Administration
PassportU.S. Department of State, Passport Services, Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section
Social Security CardSocial Security Administration
Tax ReturnsInternal Revenue Service
  • Call: 800-829-1954
  • Download the Request for Copy of Tax Return form:
U.S. Savings BondsU.S. Department of Treasury