Zero Waste Food Ware Ordinance Elements
Under the Zero Waste Food Ware Ordinance, which amends the Santa Rosa City Code (Chapter 9-30), the following applies within Santa Rosa City limits:
- All food service ware containing Polystyrene foam, such as clamshell boxes for take-out food, is prohibited from being sold, procured, distributed, or otherwise given away;
- All food service ware containing fluorinated chemicals (also known as PFAS), such as grease resistant molded containers or fast-food paper wrappers, are prohibited from being sold, procured, distributed, or otherwise given away;
- Food service facilities are required to provide food ware accessories (straws, cutlery, to-go condiments, etc.) upon request ONLY;
- Food facilities with dine-in accommodations for consumption on the premises may ONLY offer reusable food ware and food ware accessories.
- Food facilities offering dine-in accommodations must offer condiments in a reusable dispenser or format rather than pre-packaged single-use packets.
- Food facilities with dine-in accommodations must provide three bin waste stream containers (garbage, recycling, and organics) for customer use. Graphic signage must be attached to each waste stream bin as to designate proper sorting methods to patrons.
- Food Facilities are encouraged, but not required, to charge customers receiving to-go Food Ware Accessories twenty-five cents ($.0.25). Customers must request Food Ware Accessories.
- Food Facilities are encouraged, but not required, to provide a twenty-five cent ($0.25) credit to customers brining in their own hygienic reusable food ware for takeout.
- Food Facilities shall comply with the requirements of Chapter 9-10.020 (Waste Reduction Program for Carryout Bags) of the City Code.
- A retail establishment may make available for sale to a customer a recycled paper bag for a minimum charge of ten cents ($0.10).
- Plastic bags are not allowed to be provided for takeout food or beverage orders
- Customers are strongly encouraged to bring in their own reusable takeout bag
- All City of Santa Rosa-staffed facilities and City-sponsored or permitted events are also required to follow the terms of this ordinance.
- No retail establishment shall sell, rent, or otherwise provide products that contain Polystyrene or PFAS, such as packaging peanuts, coolers, ice chests or similar containers.