The nomination period for City Council candidates for all districts has closed.
The filing period for a Write-In Candidacy is Sept. 12 to Oct. 25, 2022.
For information specific to the 2022 General Municipal Election, go to srcity.org/2022Election.
The City of Santa Rosa will be holding elections in 2022 for the following positions:
- Councilmember, District 2
- Councilmember, District 3 (term ends in December 2024)
- Councilmember, District 4
- Councilmember, District 6
Electeds for Districts 2, 4, and 6 are expected to serve through December 2026; the elected for District 3 will be completing the term of a vacated seat and is expected to serve through December 2024. Map of all election districts.
Here are the necessary steps potential candidates need to become a qualified candidate:
Nominees for Public Office
Notice is hereby given that the following person(s) have been nominated for the office(s) mentioned in the document to be filled at the General Municipal Election to be held in the City of Santa Rosa, on Tuesday the 8 day of November 2022. VIEW DOCUMENT
Eligibility and Candidacy
To be eligible to run for City Council, you must be a registered voter of the council district in the City of Santa Rosa at the time nomination papers are issued. Registered voters must be U.S. citizens, residents of the City of Santa Rosa, 18 years of age or older on the date of the election, and not in prison or on parole for a felony conviction. To verify your voter registration information, please visit the Sonoma County Voter Identification website.
Pursuant to Elections Code Section 201, candidates must be residents and registered voters in the district they are running to represent.
|7/18/2022||Candidate nomination period opens|
|8/12/2022||Candidate nomination period closes|
|8/15/2022||Extended candidate nomination filing period opens
(only applies to non-incumbent candidates if an incumbent candidate has not filed for that office)
|8/17/2022||Extended candidate nomination filing period closes (for Districts 2 and 6 ONLY)|
|11/8/2022||24-hour campaign finance reporting closes|
Process for Nomination
- July 18 - August 12. Nomination documents must be obtained from the City Clerk and filed between these dates.
- August 12 at 5:00 p.m.: Deadline to file nomination documents with the City Clerk. All required documents must be completed and received by the City Clerk no later than 5 p.m. on the deadline date. A postmark is not acceptable.
Extension of Nomination (for Districts 2 and 6)
- August 15 - August 17. If the incumbent has failed to file by 5 p.m. on Aug. 12, any person other than the person who was the incumbent shall have from Aug. 15 to 17 to file nomination documents for the elective office.
Write-in Candidacy Information
From Sept. 12 to Oct. 25, 2022, people who wish to be write-in candidates must file a Statement of Write-In Candidacy and nomination documents. Please contact the City Clerk's office to obtain and/or file nomination papers.
The City Clerk's office is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., for any service that needs to be done in person. Email the clerk's office for more information about documents, forms, and filing requirements: [email protected].
Resources for Candidates
To review prominent city policies, procedures, and other pertinent information required to serve as a city council member, go to the city's page on essential resources for candidates.