Victims of Identity Theft

What to Do if You Are a Victim of Identity Theft

  • Contact all creditors by phone and writing informing them of the problem.
  • Set up a folder to keep a detailed history of the crime.


Notify the US Postal Inspector if your mail has been stolen or tampered with. See phone listing for the local post office.


  • Contact the Federal Trade Commission to report the problem, or call the identity theft hotline 877-IDTHEFT.
  • Contact the Social Security Administration’s Fraud Hotline at 800-269-0271.
  • Contact the state office of the Department of Motor Vehicles at 866-658-5758 to see if another license has been issued in your name. If so, request a new license number and fill out a DMV complaint form to begin the fraud investigation process.


Contact each of the three credit bureaus’ fraud units to report Identity Theft. Request that a copy of your credit report be sent to you.


Contact the Police Department if you have suspect information and provide the following:
  • A description of the suspect if known
  • Determine the financial loss to you and attach all supporting documentation
  • Witness information if any