Spill Response Team

Spill Response Team on Street
Spill Emergency Responses
For the following types of Emergencies, call 911:
  • 55 gallon drum
  • Chemicals (includes oil and grease)
  • Compressed gas cylinder
  • Large spill running in street, gutter or creek
  • Other hazard to health or safety (anything blocking the street or entrance to school or hospital)
  • Paint reaching the creek or storm drain
  • Power washing of lead-based paint
  • Release from a commercial facility
  • Smoking or fuming substance/container
  • Spill during heavy rain
  • Spill or crime in progress
  • Unknown substance
  • Vehicle fluids flowing or running (such as oil, gasoline, diesel)
  • White powder
Spill Non-Emergencies
For the following types of issues, call 707-543-3800:
  • Concrete / saw cutting
  • Illegal dumping
  • Leaves in gutter
  • Mud, dirt or silt
  • Other minor spill
  • Paint not reaching the creek or storm drain
  • Pool water
  • Power washing
  • Septic, human waste not out of the sewer system (such as RV discharge, buckets of human waste)
  • Vehicle fluids dripping or small puddle (such as oil, gasoline, diesel)
  • Washing cars
  • Washing of parts or equipment
  • Yard waste

Spill Reporting

Reporting Criteria
Please provide the following information:
  • The amount of material
  • If the issue affects or threatens to affect a creek
  • If the material is flowing, dripping, running, or puddled and has gone into a storm drain
  • If the material is flowing, dripping, running, or puddled
  • If the material is in the creek
  • If you know who or what caused the situation.
  • What happened or is happening
  • What materials are involved
  • When the incident occur or if it is presently occurring
  • Where the incident occurred (street address, cross street)

What is Storm Water?

Rainfall runoff, snow melt runoff, and surface water runoff and drainage that enter the storm drain system and empties into lakes, rivers, streams or the ocean.

For Environmental Crime tips, call 707-543-4057. Outside of Santa Rosa, call 707-576-1365 or review the Sonoma County reporting website.