Special Event Permit

One-time, annual or recurring events using streets, sidewalks, alleys and parking areas beyond the normal patter of use, require a Special Event Permit. Please review Council Policy 000-09 "Event Permits" for all requirements and restrictions.

How to Obtain a Permit

  1. Fill out a Special Event Permit application at least 30 days (60 days if event includes road closures) before but no more than one year in advance of your event, and submit with the $75 application fee online. The online system will require you to create a login. Once logged in, click on "Apply for Special Event, Filming..." under the Recreation & Parks section. Then select "Special Event Permit" as the record type. You may save, close and return to your application as many times as needed before submitting. If you are unable to submit the application online, please use the paper application (PDF).
  2. Staff will review application and contact applicant within 15 days.
  3. A pre-event meeting may be required to establish conditions of use, other required permits and any additional fees for City services, such as police, fire, traffic control plan and parking.
  4. Applicant must fulfill all permit requirements and pay any additional fees and/or deposits. In addition to the non-refundable application fee of $75, the following permit fees will be added to your approved permit: $125/day.

Permit Requirements

Insurance: General Liability Insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 is required for all events permitted through a Special Event Permit, except Free Speech Marches. The City of Santa Rosa, Its officers, agents, employees and volunteers must be listed as "Additional Insured" on the corresponding Endorsement page. Please note that the insurance certificate will not be accepted without the endorsement page and exact wording shown above. Special Event insurance is available for purchase through this on-line service. For more information on purchasing Special Event insurance through the City of Santa Rosa, please contact Mirella Stevens at (707) 543-3024 or [email protected].

Other Permits: The following additional permits may be required for some events

Frequently Asked Questions

What is required to close a city street for an event?

A Traffic Control Plan is required for any hard closure of a City street. The City must approve the plan before the permit is issued. The cost of preparing and implementing the plan is the responsibility of the applicant.

Can we reserve parking spaces for our event?

Yes. Reserved metered parking spaces will be charged a lost revenue fee per meter. For productions where "No Parking" restrictions will be in effect, signs must be posted a minimum of 24 hours in advance for metered parking areas, and 72 hours in advance for unrestricted areas. The cost of the "No Parking" signs and posting of signs is the responsibility of the applicant. The signs must be purchased from the City to ensure the signs meet the legal requirements for possible vehicle towing.

What kind of notification is required to affected residents and businesses?

Depending on the impact of your event, you may be required to notify residents and businesses at least 2 weeks prior to the event. The written notice must be approved by the City before distribution, and must be sent to a mailing list provided by the City.


Special Event Permit
[email protected]

Click here to apply now