Victim of Identity Theft Response


Victims of Identity Theft should:
  • Contact all creditors by phone and writing informing them of the problem.
  • Set up a folder to keep a detailed history of the crime.
  • Notify the U.S. Postal Inspector if your mail has been stolen or tampered with. See phone listing for the local post office on the U.S. Postal Inspection Service website.
  • Contact the Federal Trade Commission to report the problem through the Federal Trade Commission website or the Identity theft hotline, phone: 1-877-IDTHEFT.
  • Contact each of the three credit bureaus' fraud units to report Identity Theft:
  • Request that a copy of your credit report be sent to you.
  • Contact the Social Security Administration's Fraud Hotline at 800-269-0271.
  • Contact the state office of the Department of Motor Vehicles at 866-658-5758 to see if another license has been issued in your name. If so, request a new license number and fill out a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) complaint form to begin the fraud investigation process.
  • Contact the Police Department if you have suspect information and provide the following:
    • A description of the suspect if known
    • Determine the financial loss to you and attach all supporting documentation
    • Witness information if any