When Walking to School
- Cross the street at a corner or crosswalk only. Do not cross mid-block!
- Look in all directions when crossing. (Left, right, left, front and back)
- Obey all traffic signals, signs and street markings, such as crosswalks.
- Obey the directions of Adult Crossing Guards and School Safety Patrols.
- Parents: Choose the best route to school and walk it with your children.
- Stay alert at all times - especially in bad weather.
- Walk with a group, parent, or "buddy." Avoid walking alone.
When Riding a Bike to School
- Also watch out for cars entering or leaving driveways.
- Ask your parents to help you choose the best cycling route.
- Children under 10 should ride on the sidewalk.
- Cross streets at corners, and use crosswalks.
- Obey all traffic signals, signs and street markings.
- Ride with the traffic flow; do not ride facing traffic.
- Wear a helmet at all times! It's the school policy and state law!
- When crossing in a crosswalk, walk your bike across the street.
- When riding in the street, ride on the right hand side of the street.
- When riding on sidewalks, ride slow, and watch out for walkers.
When Riding in a Car to School
- Children under 6 years or 60 pounds must ride in a booster seat.
- Make sure children enter or exit the vehicle on the passenger side of the car, next to the sidewalk.
- Obey all parking, walking and driving laws, they're for your safety and the safety of our children!
- Park your car a block or two from the school, and walk the rest of the way to avoid congestion.
- Riding in the back of a pick-up truck without a camper is against the law.
- The safest place for children to ride is in the back seat.
- Santa Rosa Police Department will be enforcing pedestrian and driving laws around schools this fall to improve safety for our children.
- Wear your seat belt for the entire ride, even if it is just a short way to go.
- Younger children (under 4 years or 40 pounds) must ride in a car seat.
When Riding in a School Bus
- Follow the bus driver's instructions.
- Keep your head, arms and hands inside the bus. Stay in your seat at all times and keep your things out of the walkway.
- Stay out of the street, and don't play around the bus stop.
- Wait for parents where the bus dropped you off; don't cross the street.