The National Weather Service has issued a heat advisory and excessive heat warning. The Heat Advisory goes into effect on Thursday, August 31 from 11 AM to 9 PM. An Excessive Heat Warning will go into effect on Friday, September 1 at 11 AM and will last through Monday, September 4 at 9 PM. Temperatures in Santa Rosa are expected to reach 107 degrees by Friday and remain very hot through the weekend. With the latest round of forecasted high temperatures, the City of Santa Rosa will open a cooling center at the Finley Community Center this Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 11am-7pm. Water will be provided.
- Bring books, games and/or lap tops and headphones. Free Wifi available. There is no TV available.
- Food that is ready to eat can be brought in. Kitchen access will not be available.
- Due to space limitations, visitors will be limited to no more than one small tote and daypack per person.
- City of Santa Rosa Recreation & Parks will not be responsible for lost or stolen items
- Visitors must comply with the community center Standards of Behavior
Please be mindful of the heat and heed the following tips to stay safe:
- Never leave children, seniors or pets in a parked car during periods of intense summer heat.
- Drink fluids, particularly water, even if you do not feel thirsty. Your body needs water to keep cool.
- If possible, stay out of the sun and in air-conditioned areas.
- Mow fields in the mornings before 10AM, but never when it’s windy or excessively dry. Lawn mowers are designed to mow lawns, not weeds or dry grass. Metal blades striking rocks can create sparks and start fires.
As a reminder, in addition to the Finley Center cooling center, Recreation & Parks Department operates several air-conditioned lobbies that are open to the public if citizens need a place to stay cool during the day, including:
- Finley Recreation Complex - 2060 West College Avenue - 8AM-6PM, M-F & Sat 9AM-11AM
- Steele Lane Community Center - 415 Steele Lane - 8:30AM-5PM, M-F
- Person Senior Wing – 2060 West College Ave – 8AM-5PM, M-F
Return to Recreation & Parks homepage.