The Planning Commission will conduct a public hearing on Oct. 12 to receive public comment on proposed cannabis regulations.
The City’s Draft Comprehensive Cannabis Ordinance will be considered at a public hearing with the Planning Commission on Thursday, October 12, 2017, at or after 4:00 PM, in the City Council Chamber, City Hall, 100 Santa Rosa Avenue, Santa Rosa. The purpose of the public hearing will be to receive public comment prior to Planning Commission consideration of a recommendation to the City Council to adopt an ordinance amending several sections of the City Code to regulate cannabis.
The Commission agenda and packet for the item will be posted by Thursday, October 5, 2017 by 6pm.
Highlights of the Draft Ordinance:
- Establishes cultivation limits for personal medical and adult use
- Consolidates the City’s interim cannabis policies
- Directs commercial medical cannabis businesses to commercial and industrial districts
- Establishes an operator in good standing program
- Provides standards to address security, odor, lighting and noise
- Provides for new dispensaries in commercial and industrial areas
- Addresses overconcentration of dispensaries with buffers to schools and other dispensaries
- Allows for delivery services through a Retail facility
- Prohibits adult use cannabis businesses
- Prohibits outdoor cultivation of medical cannabis businesses
- Prohibits commercial cultivation in the -LIL (Limited Light Industrial) Combining District
Please note: While the proposed ordinance as drafted prohibits adult use cannabis businesses, the Commission may discuss and recommend amendments to allow adult use cannabis support (cultivation, manufacturing, distribution, and testing laboratories) and/or retail (dispensary, delivery, and microbusiness) businesses.
On January 19, 2016, the City Council directed staff (7-0) to prepare a city-wide City Code Text Amendment to provide comprehensive regulations for medical cannabis uses (later amended after the passage of Prop 64 and SB 94 to address both medical and adult use). In addition, the Council reconvened the Medical Cannabis Policy Subcommittee and staff convened a Technical Advisory Committee (TAC).
Following over twenty Council Policy Subcommittee meetings, several TAC sessions, and extensive public outreach and discussion, a Draft Comprehensive Cannabis Ordinance was published on June 30, 2017. Continued outreach and discussion ensued which resulted in further refining of the ordinance. The subject ordinance as amended and under consideration by the Planning Commission and City Council considers the technical review, public feedback, and subcommittee direction received to date.
The Draft Comprehensive Cannabis Ordinance includes the following specific components:
- Amends Section 20-23.030, Table 2-2 (Allowed Land Uses and Permit Requirements for Residential Zoning Districts),
- Amends Zoning Code Section 20-23.030, Table 2-6 (Allowed Land Uses and Permit Requirements for Commercial Zoning Districts)
- Amends Zoning Code Section 20-24.030, Table 2-10 (Allowed Land Uses and Permit Requirements for Industrial Districts)
- Amends Zoning Code Section 20-36.040, Table 3-4 (Automobile and Bicycle Parking Requirements by Land Use Type)
- Repeals and replaces Zoning Code Chapter 20-46 (Medical Cannabis Cultivation) with Chapter 20-46 (Cannabis)
- Amends Zoning Code Section 20-70.020 (Definitions)
- Repeals City Code Chapter 10-40 (Medical Cannabis Dispensaries)
- Adopts exemption findings pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act
Date: Thursday, October 12, 2017
Time: At or after 4:00 PM
Location: City Council Chamber, City Hall, 100 Santa Rosa Avenue, Santa Rosa.