For many of us, gift-giving is a wonderful way to show we care and connect with our loved ones. However, the choices we make in gifting and gift wrapping can make a big impact on our environment, choose zero waste.
What Can We Do to Gift More Sustainably?
Here are some suggestions when gifting sustainably.
- Gift Mindfully – choose a gift that will be used for years to come
- Shop Local
- Give Eco-Friendly – change old habits by gifting an eco-lifestyle
- Wrap Smart - see suggestions below
- Go Digital with gifts and greeting cards
Maybe you’re already an expert at finding sustainably made gifts, however you might want to know ways you can incorporate zero waste gift-wrapping in your holiday gifting.
What is Zero Waste Gift Wrapping?
True to its name, zero waste gift wrapping is a wrapping method that doesn’t contribute to additional waste. Here are a few techniques to rethink how you wrap up your gifts the waste-less way this year.
- Use Fabric - think sustainably and wrap your gifts in fabric such as bandanas, scarves, or towels. Use what you have on hand or check out a local thrift store to find secondhand fabrics.
- Reuse old gift boxes, gift bags, and even reusable grocery bags.
- Repurpose and get creative using old maps, magazines and newspapers
- Decorate your wrappings with sustainable materials such as twine, evergreen twigs, pinecones and materials found in your yard.
Traditional wrapping paper and disposable gift boxes are single-use items that essentially generate unnecessary waste. However, if you want to use wrapping paper, please consider using paper that can be recycled or is made from recycled materials.
Any single-use item that can be replaced by a zero waste alternative is a great way to minimize our environmental impact, and gift wrapping is no exception. A little wrapping paper may seem harmless, but it adds up.
Wishing you a Zero Waste Holiday!
For more Zero Waste Holidays Tips:
Zero Waste Entertaining
Zero Waste Food Scraps and Leftovers