What is being done about illegal activity?

Keep in mind that simply being homeless is not a crime and people experiencing homelessness have the same rights as everyone to be in public spaces. Some behaviors associated with homelessness may be unpleasant but are not illegal, while others may be illegal but difficult for police to enforce depending on the severity of the crime.

Law enforcement response to homeless-related calls for service is not always the most effective or appropriate intervention, which is why the Santa Rosa Police Department, in collaboration with community partners, developed the inResponse Mental Health Support Team, a multi-disciplinary mobile crisis intervention service that is integrated into the City’s public safety system. If you witness someone experiencing a mental health crisis in Santa Rosa, contact the inResponse Mental Health Support Team at 707-575-HELP (4357) for emergency/immediate response. 

To report an encampment on public property, email [email protected], submit the issue online, or call 707-543-3311. 

To report an encampment on private property, email [email protected], submit a complaint, or call 707-543-3198

If you witness or know of illegal activity occurring, it should be reported to the Santa Rosa Police Department’s 24/7 non-emergency line at 707-528-5222. For urgent matters call 911. Calls for service will be prioritized based on urgency and available resources. 

Show All Answers

1. What is the City doing to address homelessness in our community?
2. Where can people go rather than living on the streets?
3. What is being done about encampments on public property?
4. What can be done about encampments on private property?
5. What are the legal constraints to the City’s ability to address encampments?
6. Does the City have an ordinance related to homeless encampments?
7. Does the City enforce laws about vehicles/RVs parked on City streets?
8. How do I request signage to restrict street parking?
9. What is being done about illegal activity?
10. How can I help?