How do I get my firearm(s) back?
The first step is to contact the Property and Evidence Team in order to determine if the firearm is releasable. If the firearm is releasable, the Property and Evidence Team will send you a letter detailing the process.

The process includes obtaining clearance through Department of Justice and registering the firearm. All firearms must be registered before they are released. You can complete the forms required by Department of Justice by contacting them or going online. Once you obtain clearance and the firearm is registered, you can contact the Property and Evidence Team at 707-543-3618 to provide copies of the Department of Justice documents and set up an appointment for the release.

If the property was taken under a search warrant, a court order is required to release the property. For more information visit the

State of California Department of Justice page.

Show All Answers

1. If I find a bicycle and turn it in can I later claim it?
2. If I find and turn in any other property (i.e. money, jewelry, etc.), may I later claim it?
3. Why must I make an appointment to claim my property?
4. I have a court order that requires Santa Rose Police Department to return my property, why do I still need an appointment?
5. Why does it take so long for me to get my property back?
6. How do I get my firearm(s) back?