August 19, 2023
2060 West College Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95401
2023 Wildfire Ready Resource Fair
Saturday, August 19, 2023
We will see you there - Sat., August 19!
You’re invited to attend the City of Santa Rosa’s free Wildfire Ready Resource Fair, the City’s annual event focused on promoting wildfire preparedness information and building community resilience. Taking place on Saturday, August 19, from 10 am to 2 pm at Finley Community Center, this event will feature an array of exhibitors and three seminars, providing valuable knowledge and resources to help individuals, families, and the community stay safe and resilient in the face of wildfires.
New this year! The Santa Rosa Fire Department is giving away free go bags to the first 150 attendees to RSVP online and attend the event in person. To qualify for a free go bag, attendees must RSVP in advance, limit one go bag per household, and be present on August 19 to collect the go bag:
RSVP online in English
RSVP online in Spanish
Highlights of the 2023 Wildfire Ready Resource Fair include:
- Seminars by leading local experts:
- 10:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.: “Prepare for Wildfire and Harden your home now to protect it from RED!” presented by Roberta Macintyre President of Fire Safe Sonoma. Taking the necessary measures to harden (prepare) your home can help increase its likelihood of survival when wildfire strikes. In this presentation we will go over CAL Fire’s list of Low-Cost Ways to Harden Your Home, such as installing a noncombustible gutter cover on gutters to prevent the accumulation of leaves and debris in the gutter; caulking or plugging gaps greater than 1/8-inch in the siding; and installing non-combustible metal mesh screen with openings in the screen not to exceed 1/8-inch or ember and flame-resistant attic and underfloor vents.
- 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.: “Are You Ready for an Emergency, Santa Rosa?” presented by Paul Lowenthal, Division Chief Fire Marshal, and Neil Bregman, Emergency Manager with the Santa Rosa Fire Department. Hear from the City of Santa Rosa's Emergency Management and Fire Officials on improvements to alerts and warnings, evacuations, and firefighting efforts locally. You’ll also have the opportunity to ask questions of public safety officials to ensure you have the information you want and need to be Wildfire Ready.
- 1:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.: “Ecological Land Practices and Fire Safe Landscaping” presented by Bob Schneider, Design and Implementation Manager of Sonoma Ecology Center. At the Resilient Landscapes Coalition, we believe that, after hardening the home, defensible space landscaping practices are a high priority for minimizing fire risk. Additionally, we've drawn upon the latest research and expertise to collect landscape design and maintenance practices that create beauty and ecological benefits while also being fire-wise, as opposed to creating a moonscape of rocks 100 feet out from the house. With defensible space principles and strategically selected and placed CA native plants, we help residents and professionals to create and maintain fire-wise landscaping that also enhances wildlife habitat, conserves water, and sequesters carbon.
- Exhibitors Showcase:
- 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.: Explore a wide range of exhibitors, including local fire departments, emergency management agencies, insurance providers, environmental organizations, and more. They will provide educational materials and expert advice on how to prepare for and mitigate wildfire risks effectively.
- Food vendor:
- Boucherie – Cajun and French Eats, Boucherie is Cajun and French cuisine with a street food twist that uses fresh, local, and sustainable ingredients serving all of Sonoma County!
- American Medical Response – Sonoma Life Support Ambulance
- American Redcross
- Cal Fire LNU
- California Highway Patrol
- Fire Safe Sonoma
- HALTER Project
- Latino Service Providers
- LifeWest Ambulance
- Nuestra Comunidad
- Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E)
- REDCOM Fire and Medical Dispatch
- Santa Rosa Community Advisory Board/ Communications, Engagement, and Government Affairs Dept.
- Santa Rosa Fire Foundation
- Santa Rosa Fire Department
- Santa Rosa Emergency Management Office
- Santa Rosa Police Department/inResponse Mental Health Support Team
- Santa Rosa Park and Recreation (Finley Community Center Team)
- Sonoma County Animal Control
- Sonoma County Department of Emergency Managment
- Sonoma County Fire District
- Sonoma Ecology Center
- United Policy Holders
Questions or requests for translation, including disability-related aids or services, can be made by contacting the Santa Rosa Fire Department at [email protected] or (707) 543-4547.